A seven-year-old boy accidentally shot by his father at a gun expo in Midrand is still recovering in Carstenhof Hospital, Gauteng police said on Tuesday.
“He is in the ICU [intensive care unit] but he is recovering,” Constable Matomi Tlamela said.
The boy was critically wounded at Gallagher Estate on Monday where a gun exhibition was taking place. A man allegedly went into the toilet with his son, and his gun accidentally went off. The boy sustained a wound to his chest. Tlamela said no arrest had been made.
“Police are busy investigating a case of negligent handling of a firearm,” she said.
Adriaan Woudstra, organiser of HuntEx2014, said he was shocked by the accident, adding that strict firearms control measures were in place at the gathering.
He said the man accidentally discharged his personal firearm in a closed toilet cubicle while his two sons were with him.
Woudstra said all firearm exhibitors complied with the legislation of the Firearms Control Act by applying and being issued with temporary firearms exhibition permits.
The permits were issued by the SA Police Service central firearms registry (CFR).
“The CFR was also present on the premises during the duration of the expo, to ensure compliance with the act,” Woudstra said.
“They manned two stands and also assisted the Midrand police station with their investigation of the incident.”